Doing business in Mexico is hard. I'm constantly amazed at how frustrating it is to try and get anything done around here. Patience is key. I'm also learning a lot on searching the internet more effectively or not relying on it at all. Most businesses that are good aren't even on the internet... which in this day in age, I just find completely shocking.
I've lived in my apartment for a month and had co-workers take me to Wal-Mart to buy purified water so I could survive while I was in-between finding a company that could deliver water to my house. I was pretty busy at work, so that was part of it, but still. It took me hours of searching the internet (over a week or so) to find a phone number to call "Ciel", aka the Dasani of Mexico. I don't think I've ever had such a hard time finding something on the internet. If I found it, it was a general number, not necessarily for requesting a delivery. Or (and most likely) it was for another city outside of Guadalajara. Once I finally found the number, I called and requested them to deliver it on Saturday. They generally deliver during the week and of course only deliver until 4 in the afternoon and since I don't get home until about 7pm, that wasn't going to work. They told me between 9am-12pm they'd arrive with the water. First of all, it's Saturday. In other words, I generally sleep in. Since I don't want the delivery guys to find me in my PJ's, I'm up and at 'em at 8:30am. I eat some breakfast, read some out of my book,... 9:30am...watch a movie... start thinking about how I need to clean the apartment...11am... start cleaning the apartment.... noon. Ok, now I'm annoyed. I got up specifically and it's now 12:30pm and nothing. So, I call the number again. They act like I'd never even called and said the guys would be there to deliver in the next 2 hours. Good thing I had nothing planned that day... but that doesn't stop me from being annoyed. Luckily (and it is luck here in Mexico), the guys came an hour later and I finally had water. Done and Done.
I've also been looking into getting internet and cable at my apartment. I researched it a bit on the internet and knew what I wanted, so I stopped by the kiosk at the mall to get a contract for internet and cable. I ask how much it would cost to get internet and cable. I had already done the research on it and knew it should be around 500 pesos a month. She quotes me 700 pesos. Now I realize I missed something and not sure what. So, I naturally avoid the problem, thank her and leave. I research it again and realize it's the type of cable. So, now armed with more information, I'm ready to order. I go again and they quote me what I expect. I ask to sign up for it and they tell me I need something that was mailed to me (to prove I live there) and a government issued ID. I ask if a passport would work. Yes. Ok, so I leave and come back the next day with my passport in hand and my contract (since I don't have anything that was mailed to me). They tell me I need to give them a copy of my passport and contract (oh... duh... of course... why would I expect you guys to copy it for me???). They also tell me that the prior tenants had a debt with the company and that I have to pay it in order to get service. I tell them it's not me and it's not my debt so I shouldn't have to pay it. They stay interestingly silent after that comment. Anyway, I come back a few days later to turn in a copy of my contract and passport. They tell me again there's a debt and I say I just barely moved in, that it's not my debt. So, they say they have to send my paperwork to audit to double check and ensure that I can sign up without paying the debt against it. I ask them when they'll have an answer. In two days. So, I return today (two days after) and they tell me that their audit hasn't responded yet. I ask them to clarify when it will be ready. They said maybe tomorrow but most likely Monday. I realize that these things happen, but I'm still annoyed with how many times I've had to make a special trip to chat with them. Keep in mind that every time I go it's generally right when I'm getting off work. I have to get off the bus a stop before I normally get out and I have to walk the entire mall to the opposite side. Then when I'm done it's a 20 min walk home (with my heavy computer) instead of a 10 minute walk home. Needless to say, I still have no idea when I'll have the luxury of internet at home... but given the Mexican way of doing business I fully expect to wait another 2 weeks... and that's being hopeful.
Ok, I think this may be the last one for this week. So, as most of you know, I am not yet employed by IBM Mexico (they need my paperwork to be able to fully employ me). This means I'm still getting paid in dollars in my US bank account. This works out pretty well for me financially, however it does mean that it makes it hard to pay for all the things I need (you can only take out about 3,000 pesos per day from an ATM with a $5 ATM fee every time). Needless to say, an ATM hasn't been a good way to go. Luckily, Wells Fargo is able to send money (up to $1,500 per day) to me (bank to bank) for only a $4 fee. So, this is how I've been getting pesos to pay for furniture and rent for my apartment... etc. I've used it twice and this week had to use it for the third time since I've been in Mexico. So, I go to the bank to get it out and they tell me that I can no longer retrieve my money via cash. It has to be deposited in a bank account at that bank before I can withdraw it. Now, the issue with this is that I can't have a bank account without my paperwork. I'm already pissed because they have my money. It's MY money. They can't NOT give it to me. How it works is when I send it, it's at that bank in Mexico... it's not pending... it's gone. It does not show anywhere. I only have a confirmation page and number so I can retrieve it from the bank listed. So, as I'm livid I ask them how they would like me to sign up for a bank account to retrieve my money if I can't have a bank account since I don't have my paperwork. They seemed stumped by that question. After some very frustrated words with the manager, the manager finally gave me my money and firmly said that if I wanted any more I would HAVE to sign up for a bank account. Guess who's not going to that bank anymore? I just couldn't believe they tried to with hold my money from me. If they didn't want to do the agreement with Wells Fargo to pay in cash instead of via bank account (there's that option too), then they need to bring that up with Wells Fargo, not me. Anyway, it certainly got me all fired up.
So, needless to say it's been an annoying week as far as dealing with businesses. I've definitely learned that there are times when patience is needed and there are times when blowing up in a full adult sized tantrum is the only thing that will get you what you need.
No comments:
Post a Comment