Monday, March 18, 2013

Muebles

Well, I bought the last of my bedroom furniture (dresser and nightstand) last week and it was finally delivered today.  

I AM OFFICIALLY UNPACKED!

I’ll be honest it’s nice to not be using my suitcases anymore.  They are tucked away in the second bedroom closet.  Ahhh.  Feels good.

Anyway, a quick story about my dresser.  The furniture store guys drop it off and I sign off on it without opening each of the drawers.  Again, my American background doesn’t even let a question slip in about whether the drawers open well.  So, they leave and I get to work cleaning off the sawdust and moving the handles to the outside instead of the inside (there’s always something that has to be done with furniture here… I think the only thing in which I didn’t have to use tools were the headboard and the bed frame).  Anyway, I get to the second drawer and it doesn’t open.  It doesn’t budge at all.  AWESOME.  I try to see where it’s getting hung up on, and I see at the bottom of the drawer that glue has dripped and cemented it closed.  Yes, that’s right… they put this thing together so quick and put the handlebars on the inside so fast that by the time they closed it, the glue from the drawers was still wet enough to stick to the dresser frame.  So, I did what anyone would do, I got a flat head screwdriver out and started ruining the frame of the dresser by trying to pop the hardened glue off.  It took me a good 15 minutes and I won’t lie… I had a few choice words in the middle of it… especially when I missed the glue and smacked my arm into the corner of the drawer.  After a few dents to the dresser and some minor scrapes on my arms, the super glue finally popped off and the drawer opened.  I have to be honest… knowing I’m only going to live here for a short time certainly takes the pressure off as far as taking care of the furniture.

One last note, I do miss put-it-together-yourself box bedrooms.  When I moved to Rochester, I bought my dresser, nightstand, and headboard for $100 from Wal-Mart.  In comparison, I’ve spent about $300 and the quality isn’t near as good.

P.S. I had to fold a piece of cardboard and put it under the dresser to stop it from rocking.  QUALITY

No comments: