Monday, March 18, 2013

El timbre de la Basura

Well, today was a holiday celebrating the birthday of Benito Juarez (he helped kick out the French and bring together Mexico as a country).  So, that means I didn’t have to work.  I naturally slept in.  I woke with a start as I heard a cow bell clanging outside the apartment.  Dang it.  I forgot to put out the garbage.  Monday is garbage day for me.  

You might be asking how in the world I knew it was the garbage men by just a cow bell clanging.  Well, one Saturday while at the park, I saw the garbage men go by and I noticed that they wore cow bells on their hips.  So, when they walk to and from the garbage truck to dump the garbage, they make this horrific racket to announce to the neighborhood that they better get their garbage out to the curb or risk having to wait until the next week.

It clearly wasn’t enough racket to wake me up until they were right in front of the apartment and by then it was too late.  I would like to note that they pass by incredibly early (well Mexican early).  They were already past my apartment at 9am.  I can’t get anyone to even commit to doing anything that early, so I was rather shocked at the earliness of the hour.  Oh well, usually I’m out the door at 7am, so I don’t have to concern myself too much over making sure the garbage is out early enough.

No comments: