Sunday, March 31, 2013

Vivir Sola

Just an interesting observation that’s still hard to get used to.  Singles tend to live with their family here.  In the states, this is generally looked down upon… basically it means that you can’t take care of yourself, that you’re truly not independent yet.  However, here it seems to not matter at all.  In fact, I’d almost say it’s somewhat expected if you live in the same city as your family.  It wouldn’t be so shocking if they were still in college or something, but it seems to be pretty acceptable to live with your parents no matter what age.  I have yet to meet anyone (even a co-worker) who isn’t married that lives in an apartment.  They live with their parents or other family relations if their not from Guadalajara.  I understand it’s a great way to save money and families do tend to be pretty close here, but it still catches me off guard.

I also find that people find it somewhat shocking that I live alone.  Who else would I live with?  They also tend to ask me if I have any family here...  um. No.  I guess it must be weird for them, but in the exact opposite way.  They find it weird that I live alone and that I’m not close (distance-wise) to my family and I find it odd that they all still live with their parents.  Anyway, it’s definitely a very different expectation than in the United States.

No comments: