Thursday, May 9, 2013

Tormenta de Viento

Tuesday night, the wind picked up quite drastically.  I was of course wandering around the house cleaning up and getting ready for bed while watching/listening to my recently acquired Big Bang Theory Season 4 DVD's.  While brushing my teeth, I heard a large bang and nearly spewed my toothpaste all over the mirror.  Then the lights went out.  AWESOME.  Apparently a transformer blew down the street.  All the lights were off in the park across the street and all down my street.

Thankfully, I brought a flashlight with me when I came to Mexico.  It's been put to more use than I would have originally expected.  I found the flashlight and continued to get ready for bed (as I finished the episode I was on... since my laptop still had battery left), wondering if my water heater would still work without electricity (yes, at this point I really didn't have much hope workers would fix the electricity until the next day).  I really didn't want to take a cold shower in the morning.  I must say the nice thing about Mexico is that not everything is run off of electricity.  I have a gas stove, gas water heater... I could cook, take warm showers (I hoped).  The only issue is the fridge.  Conveniently enough I was down to nubs that day, so the only thing I threw away in the morning was an egg, two pieces of uncooked chicken.and a bit of milk.  I had to throw away A LOT more when our fridge went out in Rochester.

Ok, random tangent, when I was buying a fridge, I flat out refused to have those tiny fridges with a box freezer.  No way, I use the freezer a lot!  Guess how many times I've had something in the freezer in the 5 months I've been here... ... ... go ahead, guess... ... nope. you're wrong.  The answer is never.  I've yet to actually USE my freezer.  I guess I do eat quite differently here.

Anyway, getting back on track, I really didn't lose that much as far as food was concern.  I got up that morning and my water heater DOES work when the electricity is out.  Overall, the only thing that you miss is the entertainment... internet, tv (if I had one), being able to charge your electronic devices.  The only thing that I found that I really needed were a bunch of candles.  It was such a pain to carry around the flashlight with me where ever I went.  I'm sure I'll be making a purchase soon... with the rainy/stormy season coming, I expect this won't be the last time the lights go out.

Needless to say, by the time I got home from work the next day, the electricity was back on.  For which I was very grateful, as I needed to do some internet research.

1 comment:

Linda said...

Go Big Bang! My favorite! I'm glad you could continue to enjoy it in spite of the lack of electricity!
I'm not sure how this comment will post, so I'll let you know that this is Linda Johnson.