Speaking of walking, there are some perils. I knew it was only a matter of time. Guadalajara streets are rife with pot holes and sidewalk lips and random little "curbs" thrown out and about. So, being as clumsy as I am, it was only a matter of time.
I was walking to the bus stop in the morning and of course I trip. Being the terrible klutz that I am, looking back, I really have no idea what I tripped on... it wasn't even one of the major curbs or changes in sidewalk altitude that got me. Either way, I'm walking and then I'm on the ground. Seriously didn't even have time to catch myself. I scratched the side of my hand a bit and above my right knee cap, but I'm pretty sure what hit first were my ribs and my face. Yes, the typical face plant. The sad part is, I have experience in face plants and for some reason whenever I hit my head, I stay on the ground longer... it's like my body wants to make absolute sure I'm ok before it moves into what I call "flight" mode... aka hurry up and get up before anyone realizes what happened. Usually by the time I go into "flight" mode, people are already surrounding me and asking if I'm okay. This time was no different. It's always so embarrassing. Surprisingly, (again I have no idea how it makes it every time), my lap top survives the crash. My lap top bag is kind of falling apart so the boy tried to help me put it back together again... that was super embarrassing. Anyway, I decided at that point to forget the bus and walk home. I was dirty and I had no idea what state my face was in.
Overall, I was surprised at my body's resilience to my falling tendencies. Scratch above the knee, scratch on my right hand, a bruised lip that was rapidly swelling, and a tender cheek bone. Only later did I realize I might have bruised some ribs as laughing, coughing, and sneezing became a little painful. Needless to say, I'm impressed with my ability to fall and my ability to not seriously damage myself. I didn't even bleed this time... with exception of the internal bleeding (bruising) on my lip. Anyway, I'm glad I survived my first fall. I would hope it'll be my last, but even if I knock on wood I'm not sure it will help.
2 comments:
I totally wish I could give you a hug after reading this, which would undoubtedly enforce your embarrassment over the incident...
I'm sure that's why you would've done it. ;)
Post a Comment