Thursday, May 9, 2013

Bibliotecas

If you know anything about me, then you know I'm quite the avid reader... well, ever since I moved to Rochester that is.  There's nothing quite like reading a good book.  I especially love REAL books.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a huge fan of my Kindle... I can take 10 books around with me in my back pocket... but there's something great about a real book in your hand.  I miss that.

Here in Guadalajara, they don't have a library.  So, I'm left with my Kindle to help me obtain the books I want to read, however it is fairly frustrating that a lot of books aren't in e-version yet.  I'll have a lot of catching up to do by the end of my stay in Guadalajara.

I was talking to someone today and we talked about libraries.  I assumed that Mexico just didn't have any.  I'm glad to find out that I'm wrong.  Mexico City has a large 4-level library full of books.  Apparently very few people go there.  So, I'm led to now believe that reading just isn't as common here.  This makes me sad as I've read SO many great books that I just can't imagine not being able to enjoy them. 

If people read, it appears that they have to buy their books.  How horrible.  I'm not a big book buyer.  I'll buy the book if I want to keep it forever, but otherwise I'm strictly a borrower.  Anyway, in the end, I'm just glad I still have access to books without having to buy them

No comments: