Saturday, May 25, 2013

Topes


 

Speed bumps.  After weeks of not paying attention to my blog, I come back on the subject of speed bumps.  I apparently hit one and could not for the life of me find the desire to write.  Though I must announce that I have been writing down my ideas for new blogs, but I just haven't taken the time to get it into the blog.  So, for my avid followers, my apologies.

Now, onto speed bumps.  Most speed bumps in the US are very well marked. It's hard to miss them. Unexpected speed bumps usually have big signs announcing them and are brightly colored with crossing white or yellow stripes to help drivers be warned and to slow down before they hit them full speed.  I figured this was just a universal thing that every country did to help its drivers avoid ripping out any necessary parts of the car while going over the speed bump.
Seen by no Mexican ever.
 Not so.  Most speed bumps here in Mexico are unmarked.  In general, they do show signs of being marked once upon a time, but even newly made ones can just pop up only noticeable because they're not covered in dirt and don't have wear and tear like the rest of the street. In the picture below, I'm putting my right foot on the speed bump so that you'll see it better, but in reality, it's still not very noticeable.  Keep in mind this was only taken about 10 feet away... at that point in a car, you'll be hoping you don't lose your muffler.

You'd think after living with speed bumps that don't have any markings whatsoever that Mexicans would get used to spotting them.  Maybe they have, but I've heard several stories and been in cars that prove otherwise.  My favorite story was of a co-worker who took someone to the airport in the morning and then when he had to go back to the airport to drop off some more people in the afternoon, he went over a speed bump full throttle.  Thankfully no major car parts fell off.  The speed bump had been put in between going to the airport in the morning and returning in the afternoon.  No new markings of any kind, no signs, no construction cones.  Nothing.  Just a new asphalt colored speed bump.  Welcome to Mexico.

No comments: