Saturday, February 9, 2013

El Choque Cultural


So, now that I’ve been in my apartment for a week, many of my co-workers have been asking how I like Mexico and if it’s been a hard move for me.  Honestly, I have to say this has been one of my easiest moves ever.  Now, many of you who have been faithfully reading will want to say, “Hey, but remember all those breakdowns you’ve been having?”  Well, I will just say that you now know how much more I broke down in my other moves. Ha ha ha! 

IBM has been really helpful, especially with extending my stay at the hotel until I could finally get into an apartment.  Not to mention that my co-workers (a couple in particular) have helped me really feel at home and be able to lean on them when I had NO idea what to do.  Overall, the people here have made me feel very welcome and at home.

As far as the culture shock, it hasn’t been too bad.  It’s certainly much more Americanized here than Honduras was, but then again I’m living in a much bigger city than where I stayed in Honduras.  I’m pretty sure the experience in Honduras prepped me for the change.  So, in general the culture shock hasn’t really affected me. 

I’m sure there will be many more hard days as I’m still working to move in, but as far as the first month goes, it couldn’t have gone much better.

No comments: