Friday, February 8, 2013

Arreglamientos

Well, I guess it's not a new apartment unless most things go wrong in the first week.  For those who have been following, I've been taking cold showers.  Not on purpose but because I didn't have any gas in the tank to fuel the boiler.  On Wednesday night I was finally able to get some gas, but I didn't have a lighter to fire up the boiler.  So, Thursday night I went to Wal-Mart and bought myself one.  I get home and try to fire it up. 

NOTHING.

I have a small breakdown and then figure I'll just have to wait until someone can help me figure it out.  Meanwhile, I'll just have to deal with the cold showers.  So, I begin to work on unpacking my dining room table.  A co-worker stops by (to take back some tools he lent me) and of course he saves the day.  He somehow figures out how to fire up the boiler (let's just say there were a lot of valves and such that had to be opened... I never would've figured it out).  However, in the meantime, the neighbor tells me that my water pump is not working.  Some background (that I also found out last night):  Water is pumped from the pipes below the apartment complex into a container up on the roof.  It is usually automatic and only turns on when the water gets low in the tank.  Needless to say the pump stays on but doesn't seem to be pumping any water to the tank on the roof.  So, my tank of water is dwindling.  :(  Just when I got a hold of some hot water!  Priority of the day today is to get a hold of the owners and ask them to come fix it so I have water.

So, after all the of hubbub of trying to fix my apartment, I settle in and test the hot water.

NOTHING.

I nearly have another breakdown, but I get a hold of myself and decide to just suck it up and take another cold shower.  But just when I get into the shower and under that freezing cold water to wash my hair, I seriously want to cry.  And then out of nowhere the hot water arrives.  IT. IS. BLISS.

Reminder: my apartment isn't really all that closed off to the world.  There's a lot of open air areas not to mention the echo that still permeates the apartment, so when I squeal with delight, it is heard by all.

No comments: