Since we're talking about candy anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Life Savers actually changed their name. Most American stores or American products keep their English names here. Hershey's, Snickers, Milky Way, etc. Granted, I'm sure that's for the lack of a good equivalent in Spanish. Nevertheless, some stores are deliberately named in English to promote the idea that the company is originally from the United States. For example, there's a burger place down the road from where I live. It's called Burgers 4 Me. Clearly an English name since 4 would never be pronounced as "para"... the Spanish equivalent. Either way, it's a popular concept to keep things in English here. However, Life Savers decided to use the Spanish Equivalent. Salvavidas. It makes me want to buy some. Dumb right? I guess their marketing decision worked on me!
Saturday, June 22, 2013
Dulces
Since we're talking about candy anyway, I was pleasantly surprised to find that Life Savers actually changed their name. Most American stores or American products keep their English names here. Hershey's, Snickers, Milky Way, etc. Granted, I'm sure that's for the lack of a good equivalent in Spanish. Nevertheless, some stores are deliberately named in English to promote the idea that the company is originally from the United States. For example, there's a burger place down the road from where I live. It's called Burgers 4 Me. Clearly an English name since 4 would never be pronounced as "para"... the Spanish equivalent. Either way, it's a popular concept to keep things in English here. However, Life Savers decided to use the Spanish Equivalent. Salvavidas. It makes me want to buy some. Dumb right? I guess their marketing decision worked on me!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment