Sunday, April 28, 2013

Exito de Independencia

Well, I didn't get everything done that I wanted to yesterday, but success is relative.  Since, I got more done than I have in the past two weeks, I felt pretty successful.

I was wandering Wal-Mart and found a great little screen-curtain.  Perfect for the open doorway in my apartment that lets all the mosquitoes in.  It was pretty easy to put up and I'm hoping it will help... though to be honest the mosquitoes haven't been that horrible yet.  I also found a nice fan for my apartment.  I also bought a hammer, measuring tape and phillips screw driver.  Probably the most tools I've ever owned in my life.  Oh, I do have to mention that my measuring tape is pink and purple.  So, yes... Mexico DOES cater to Handywomen as well as men. :-)

I bought some groceries and then as I checked out, I realized I had a bit more than I could fit into my backpack.  Oh well, I sat on a bench and chugged a Gatorade as I shoved as much as I could in my backpack.  I'm stubborn, so of course instead of taking a taxi, I walked home with a heavy backpack and two boxes in my arms (the fan and the hanging screen) and one bag that I couldn't fit into my backpack.  I'll be honest, the walk wasn't horrible... though the sun was very hot.  Once I figured out how to carry the boxes comfortably, it was an okay walk.  That is, until the very end... I don't know why, but no matter how fine you were during the entire walk... that last block is hell.  Nevertheless, my stubborn side always rejoices when I make it without anyone's help... proving my independence.  Sigh.  I'm a little hopeless that way.

I get back to the apartment and start putting together my fan.  Of course the instructions are all in Spanish and there's a warning in the directions that says to make sure and put it together perfectly or you'll DIE.  Something to that effect.  I'm sorry, my Spanish may be perfect to some people, but I'm just not good at Spanish when it's super specific and relating to parts of a machine.  Luckily they had a picture with all the parts, so between that and the instructions, I figured it out... I think.  So, if my apartment goes up in flame, you'll all know why.

I was also able to put up some decorations now that I had a hammer and was able to measure the windows to figure out how to get screens on them.  I was also able to finish putting the handles on my nightstand.

Overall, a productive day... and I'm feeling more ready now with mosquito season/summer coming.

No comments: