Saturday, April 13, 2013

El Correo

Mail is hard.  I find it amazing that anything gets delivered at all here.  First of all, my apartment building is 5996... right next to 5582 or some such number... 5998, I believe, is 2 blocks away by the park.  How people actually find where I live is a miracle since the building is not where it's supposed to be... according to the number.  But then again, as an American I put a lot more emphasis on numbers and order than Mexicans... so maybe that's why they can still find it.  They have an amazing ability to take disorganization and still get the job done.

The best thing about the mail is that we have a little "buzon" box on the gate entering the building.  However, since there's another gate in front, the majority of the mail gets dropped under a bush in the grass just inside the first gate.  After a windy day, I generally come home with the mail all over the yard.  My personal favorite is when they enter the first gate and ignoring the little box shove it through the second gate and onto the stairs... though come to think of it, it's probably a lot safer that way than the open mailbox.

I can't really be too picky anyway... the fact that they found the apartment is above and beyond what they'd do if they were USPS.  I'm positive USPS would return to the deliverer saying "address not found".  Plus I hear that mailmen don't earn much here... so kudos to them for sticking with it even if my building is impossible to find.


No comments: