Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Los Camiones Silban


If you've read my prior posts you'll know that buses here are anything but polite and fun.  Well, maybe fun depending on your definition of fun.  Something that I noticed recently is that the buses here don't have normal horns.  Ok, some of them do, but there are some that have this enjoyable little whistling sound.  One reason I like it is because it makes them sound less dangerous and life threatening.  Second, it's much less painful on the ears than regular horns.  Third, it stands out in the sea of honking that sometimes is traffic in Guadalajara.

Nevertheless, do not be fooled, these whistling buses, I've decided, are going to be the death of me.  Most people from the United States ask if I'm afraid for my life here in Guadalajara.  I'm assuming they probably mean by violence, a stray bullet meant for a drug lord, kidnappings, etc.  The usual gamut of big news that hits the news stands in the US.  Well, yes, I AM afraid for my life sometimes, but from public buses... and most Mexicans would agree with me on my reasoning.  I'll tell you my most recent story to illustrate the roller coaster ride with no seat-belts that resembles riding the public bus here.


I was headed to downtown and since I didn't have any change, I went to the seven-11 and bought myself a hot chocolate.  Now, I had enough experience with buses, that I decided I'd be fine with holding a hot chocolate if there happened to not be any seats (don't worry everyone, I learned my lesson).  So, I got on the bus (hot chocolate in hand) and sure enough I had to stand while holding on to one of the vertical bars towards the front of the bus.  This wasn't a problem until the bus started moving.  I've been on many buses now, and this driver was by far the worst I've ever experienced.  He jerked over into other lanes which would nearly take me off my feet or slam me into the vertical bar.  I barely held onto my hot chocolate through it all.  However, the worst part was during a change of streets (for those Guadalajarans reading it's the figure 8 that takes you from Av. Vallarta to Av. Mexico).  Needless to say, my knuckles were white as I held on to the bar trying not to fall backwards and out the windows.... yes, it literally felt like I was hanging from this bar and not just holding on to it for balance.  I'm not entirely sure how the bus, I, or my hot chocolate kept upright.  I got off the bus thankfully a few blocks later with only a few "tender" spots on my hips and ribs.  I got onto the next bus and sat in the back.  This bus was better, but because I got a backseat, I literally got thrown into the air at a few points and I began to think that the next time I go on such a long bus ride that I should probably wear a sports bra.  Also I began to wonder why they don't put rubber grips or velcro on the seats cause to be honest I was getting tired of sliding out of my seat every minute or so.

I have to say that my overall opinion is that the buses are ok... depending on the driver.  And you can't say they're not cheap... at 7 pesos a ride (about 50 cents), you can't expect much better.  Well, turns out you actually should, but again I'm showing my American side... 7 pesos a ride adds up quickly when you go everywhere on a bus and if you don't get paid much... but that's a story for another blog.  My final advice is that if you plan on riding a public bus, make sure you have your hands free (especially avoiding holding liquids that could scald you), wear a jock strap or a sports bra, and don't believe for a second the innocence of those cute little whistles.

No comments: