Saturday, March 29, 2014

El Cielo es Tener un Carro

Only a few blogs after writing about how cars/car parts get stolen, I am here to announce that I've bought a car!  Yes, this is the beauty I bought a little over a week ago.  It's a 2009 Volkswagen Bora.  If they sell it in the United States then I don't know about it, but as you can see it's fairly similar to the Jetta. Some people might be surprised to hear that I bought a car especially since I've been getting by pretty well for the last year without one.  However, when I returned from visiting the United States last Christmas, people asked me what I missed most about the United States now that I'd had a chance to visit again.  I honestly could only think of brown sugar for baking and being able to get myself around in a car.  So, the opportunity to buy a car came up and I took it.

I bought the car from a friend of a friend.  I had to get it checked with a mechanic and luckily I've got some pretty good friends here who helped me out in finding a mechanic, going to test drive it, and finally going to get the car.  It was doubtful for a bit as to whether I'd actually get it, and then everything came together and so now I have a car.  I have to say that I haven't used it daily, but that was never the point.  Regardless, I have LOVED having a car for the flexibility it offers and for having the option in case I need it.  I have driven around quite a bit and I'm starting to get fairly comfortable with the roads and traffic (though I still hate the traffic immensely).

Overall, I have to admit, now that I have a car, I may not miss much but brown sugar from the United States now.  Oh C&H how I miss you and the sweet delights that are made from your packable grains!  Guess we can't have everything in life.

No comments: