
I was on my way to work and I passed this "store". For those of you who don't know Spanish, it says "experts in the recovery of stolen vehicles". Yes, that's right, hiring people to search for your stolen vehicle is apparently so needed that they have made a business out of it. I'm not sure if that's because there are SO many cars that get stolen that the police can't keep up or if it's because the police are just so ineffective here. I'm inclined to think it's the latter, for which I can hardly blame them. If they're not corrupt, then they get paid so little it's almost not worth really working. I don't want people to get the wrong idea, there are still some good police officers, it's just that they are fighting a losing battle. Corruption happens everywhere, and even more so when being corrupt is the only way to put food on the table. Maybe it's not that extreme, but it's my opinion that if the government paid them more, there would be fewer issues. Anyway, back to the issue at hand. Cars do get stolen more often here than I'm used to, but people take precautions to avoid it as much as possible and in my view it's probably not much worse than in certain parts of the US. I have noticed however that a lot of cars have alarms on them... not just new or nice cars, but junkers too. I always find it hilarious when I set off car alarms on a 80's rusty vw bug. Awesome. Parts however are a different story. Side mirrors, headlamps, rims, anything that can be taken off quickly is pretty common. I have a friend who had some things stolen from his car and he went to a warehouse that is full of recovered car parts that were stolen to get some new parts. I'll post the pictures at the end of this post. It's pretty impressive. Anyway, I don't have a car so I don't have to worry about this particular problem, but it was worth a mention anyway.




No comments:
Post a Comment