
So, I guess I should start with my thoughts on Mexico before I came. Some of these are a bit embarrassing, cause quite honestly they're a bit ridiculous when I look back on them. However, I think a lot of people from the US have the same ideas and so I think it important to share.
First, I assumed there would be more crime. Now, keep in mind I never thought there was as much crime as everyone else thought. I remember people asking me if I was afraid to move to Mexico because of all the drug lords and crime there. I always responded with a, well it's like moving to New York or Chicago... you have to be careful, but thousands survive without issues, why not me? However, even with my tough exterior, Guadalajara is the biggest city I had ever lived in. The largest city prior to this had been 200... 250 thousand people? I grew up in a town of 35,000 people. I was a small town girl, no doubt about it. Guadalajara, a city of almost 5 million, was WAY beyond anything I'd ever lived in prior. So, when I came I was undoubtedly nervous despite all my convincing "I'll be fine" mumbo-jumbo. I walked around with a tight handle on my purse and quite honestly (for a while) it scared the crap out of me to just wander the streets. I ALWAYS looked over my shoulder and kept an eye on people who seemed to come too close to me. I generally always felt better when people weren't around. Which technically is when I should be most concerned. Nevertheless, I gloried in less crowded streets and quiet areas. However, after a while I got the hang of it and yes, while there is still crime, I have been mostly comfortable. When I visit new areas, I'm more careful. However, I find that I've adapted to city life as I still am careful. I may not walk around nervous anymore, but I walk with eyes on the back of my head and I never carry things I don't want to lose. Thankfully nothing has happened to me... but then again that's the case with MANY people here. Yes, crime is a concern... but isn't it always in any city this size?
Second, I thought men would be more degrading to women. A friend explained to me that 10 years or so ago that a lot of men were... however that is changing. He also reminded me that I work in an American company with literate, well-educated Mexicans... so the likelihood of running into male chauvinism is significantly lowered. Nevertheless, it's not as pronounced as I thought it would be and he's probably right that I have a skewed version, but clearly things are quickly changing in Mexico in this regard.
Third, and I mostly blame my Honduras experience for this, I assumed a good majority of Mexicans would want to live in the United States if given the chance. This is just not true. Sure, there are plenty who would jump at the chance, but I don't think it's the majority. Many wouldn't even consider moving to the United States. Mexico is their country, their home. Why would they want to leave it?
Which brings me to my next point. Patriotism runs deep here in Mexico. Many are unhappy with how the government runs the country, however that doesn't mean they're unpatriotic. Quite the contrary. They love their country and want their country to thrive. They are frustrated with the corruption and wish they could do more to rid the country of it. They are extremely well versed in the history of Mexico and are very proud of their roots. It is quite the experience to listen to Mexican History from the mouth of a Mexican.
Speaking of history, they have a lot of it. It is true that the United States of America is very much a young country. However, due to the United States' history we don't really have a defined culture. One friend asked me what a typical American meal is. I didn't know how to answer. Hamburgers? That's not exclusively American... Pizza? That's Italian. Maybe barbecued ribs? I finally decided on fast food restaurants such as McDonald's, Wendy's, etc. Sure, they don't sell specifically American food, but the WAY the food is served is perfectly American... ON THE GO. However, Mexicans can list off at least 10 truly Mexican dishes within 30 seconds. The culture is unique and deep-rooted. They have specific dances, decor, food... the works. Now, I always knew that Mexico had a very specific culture, but I was surprised to find how extensive and rich it really is.
Needless to say, I have been pleasantly surprised. So, now that I've been here for 8 months straight, the next question naturally comes to mind. Do I miss the United States? Surprisingly not as much as I thought I would. I miss the normal stuff. My friends, family, the ease of life. But when I think about leaving Mexico I would miss the "homemade" taste of food, especially the tacos. I would miss the friendliness of the people here. Interestingly enough, I would miss the walking around everywhere (even though that's sometimes a pain in the butt). I would miss the gorgeous weather here, the diversity of color and life, and the beauty of conversing in a different language. But I think I would miss most of all the daily discovery when I talk to people. I find out more about myself and why I am the way I am as I realize that my way, or even the American way, is not always the "best" way. I've learned so much from others here.
I'd be lying if I said all was flowers and roses. It's not. It's been a hard transition. There's no denying it. But that's life. And sometimes the most valuable things in life are the hardest and most painful to acquire.
No comments:
Post a Comment