Sunday, January 13, 2013

El Evangelio en Todo El Mundo

I went to church today and of course it's exactly the same as in the States.  First hour is sacrament meeting, then an hour of Sunday School and then Relief Society.  Even the times listed on the internet weren't reliable at the beginning of the year... just like in the States.  I got there at 9 and it was actually at 8:30... figures.  Anyway, almost predictably the one person who befriends me is in the Relief Society presidency.  So, overall a basic new-comer experience in any ward. 

The only difference is that the people are MUCH more talkative.  Sunday School was huge and the teacher could barely get a word in edge-wise.  He'd ask questions and it was off for discussion for the next 10 minutes... so weird.  The breaks between hours were kind of annoying to be honest, everyone just stood around chatting in the aisles.  Now, I admit this happens everywhere, but that's on a smaller scale... for example... 2-3 people stand in the aisle and chat.  But in this ward, a group of maybe 7-10 women would be all squished in the aisle chatting and blocking any access to get out.  Also, if you try and pass through you get an automatic hug and kiss (on the cheek) because you're within a 4 foot proximity.  I rather expected that they would ask something about me, but it was just a hug and kiss and a quick hello and then they'd either just stand and stare at me like I was supposed to say something or they'd move on to the next person within their hug and kiss radius.

But overall, church was church and I got to meet quite a few people.  So pretty successful.  Now back to the apartment search on the classifieds... see if there's any new postings.

No comments: