Tuesday, January 8, 2013
El Consulado Mexicano de Houston
Well, my trip to Houston was successful. I flew out New Year's Day in the evening, arrived at the hotel at midnight, asked for a cab to pick me up at 6:45am to go to the consulate. After about 4 hours of sleep, it was off to the consulate. Obviously, I was very late in requesting a cab and so the hotel guy called a taxi driver at 5:30 in the morning. The only reason I know this is because the taxi driver told me. The hotel guy apparently told the taxi driver it would be well worth his time because the passenger has a beautiful smile and is very pretty. I tried not to laugh too hard. It was awesome. And the fact that he still got up to do it just proves that it's true (it definitely had nothing to do with the fact that it was going to be a $60 cab fare). Anyway, 30 minutes later (and several questions about boyfriends or "family" or what I'm doing that night) I'm standing in line at the Mexican Consulate with the taxi driver's suit coat to keep me warm (hey... don't blame me for forgetting my coat... blame Phoenix). The consulate technically didn't open until 8am, but they told me to be in line at 7am as it was first come first serve. The line WAS pretty long to give them a little credit. However, they forgot one crucial detail... I'm the only one in line wanting to LEAVE the United States, not stay in it. So, needless to say, I stood in the cold for about 30 minutes and then was put in the front of the line since I was the only one requesting a visa to enter Mexico. I filled out the paperwork and then sat there for a while as they tried to figure out how to access my immigration request and get my visa finalized. There was one point in which they were unsure they could do it. Apparently someone who knows the process better was on vacation and wouldn't return til the next day. They were on the verge of telling me to come back the next day. It was a dreadful feeling. Keep in mind that my flight back to Phoenix was leaving at 2pm that day and that if they told me to come back the next day, I would have to go to the airport to change my ticket. Also, even worse, I had told the taxi driver to come back for me and he had previously offered to show me around Houston and "take me out on the town" if I had to stay... Consequently, I prayed harder than I have in a LONG time that my visa would go through. After about an hour of waiting and 315 dollars later, it finally was completed... I had my visa. Finally! After another 30 minutes in a cab ride and one pass along card (yay!), I was back in the hotel. I worked the rest of the time I was in Houston and then went to the airport to go back to Phoenix. Shortest trip of my life. Seriously was only in Houston for 14 hours. But, it doesn't matter, I got what I needed and now it's on to Mexico.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment