Sunday, June 29, 2014

Visito la Ciudad de México (Día 1)

Ok, this is so ridiculously late in being posted that I'll just act like I posted it back in February.

This has probably been my favorite trip in Mexico to date. I went on my own, so there's not many pictures with me in it, but I was able to learn so much about Mexican history and see so much because I wasn't waiting on anyone else. This was truly my very own "wanderlust" experience and it felt even more adventurous by the fact that I had to pack for 5 days in a small backpack since there would be days in which I would have to be carrying everything with me.

I started off by heading to Mexico City. I flew in and took a taxi directly to Chapultepec Park. The park is very large and has quite a large hill that overlooks the city. Chapultepec Castle is on that hill, so it offers gorgeous, panoramic views of the city.


The castle was where the Presidents of Mexico used to live... I guess it was sort of like the White House if you want to compare it to the US. The Military also had their base there at some points in history. It's a very pretty place to visit because of the view of the city, but it also has been made into a museum. I learned a lot about Mexican history there, though I still won't admit to knowing more than 1% of Mexican history as it's a heck of a lot longer than the history of the US. I also quite enjoyed reading about US history (whenever Mexico and the US clashed) through the eyes of Mexico. For those who can read Spanish, I included my favorite discovery below (it includes a quote from Ulises S. Grant).
 
Chapultepec Castle
This ceiling mural was one of my favorite paintings in the castle
After Chapultepec Castle, I wandered my way through the park to the National Museum of Anthropology. On my way there, I got stopped by several people trying to sell things, I steered clear as much as possible as I really didn't want to risk getting robbed when everything I had was with me. So once I just shook my head at this guy who asked "hablas español?" which didn't deter him the way I had hoped. He continued on to ask, "you speak english?" to which I also shook my head no. I think his next question was french, but at this point I was too far away to be bothered by him anymore. You can't say the vendors are linguistically challenged, that's for sure. 

The Anthropology museum was by far the most intense museum I'd ever been to. It was just huge... I mean... huge. They built full on replicas of pyramids inside. And the amount of stuff packed into the museum was just astounding. They used the space they had very well and I thought the museum was set up nicely (except for the fact that I accidentally went backwards in time since I missed the "start here" sign at the beginning... if there even was one). I like museums, I don't love them. So by the end of my several hours there, I was ready to be done, but I was determined to see it all. I just didn't realize what a feat it would be to see it all. I can't say I got a lot out of it, especially towards the end when my back was complaining non-stop. Nevertheless it was a stop that should be made if you're in Mexico City. I quite enjoyed it, but looking back, I should've planned at least 5-6 hours here instead of the 2-3 I gave it.

After the museum, I tried to find a taxi and in a strange city in which everyone tells you not to take taxis off the street as they can't be trusted, it wasn't an easy thing to do. I finally found one by means of a security guard who knew this taxi driver. Except that the taxi had no marks on it whatsoever and was black... kind of like a private car. At this point, I took my chances and took the taxi to my hotel (which would now be ready with my room). Thankfully, everything went smoothly and I wasn't kidnapped. Sorry if it sounds dramatic, but you would be dramatic too if you were alone in a city of 20 million people and all the advice you got beforehand was don't take an unauthorized taxi. hahaha.

After walking around with everything you own in a backpack, I have to say the hotel was heaven. I dropped my stuff off quickly and took the necessities with me as I headed out to the main square or zócalo as they call it. The main square is just huge in Mexico City. The Metropolitan Cathedral is just shockingly ornate. And the National Palace is definitely a sight to see as well. They happened to be having a huge military event/show in the plaza and it was quite fun to go and experience the pride in a military that is not my own. It's a weird experience to say the least.
The Metropolitan Cathedral
 This was a fun picture of an aloe plant that I found in a plaza just outside the National Palace. I thought it was fun cause I usually see these types of things on trees and it was fun to see it on an aloe plant.
This was a fun picture of children playing with a "military" piece of art. The figure is a Chacmool (a very common pre-columbian mesoamerican sculpture) made out of guns. It was fascinating and slightly disturbing how much the kids loved to go up and pull the triggers of all the guns.
This was a kind of military obstacle course for kids. I'm pretty sure this could never happen in the US... parents are too prone to suing anyone and anything for whatever happens to them or their kids. Nevertheless, it was fun to watch these big military men helping kids get through the course. There was one obstacle that was literally just like a swing-set and it was delightful to watch these serious men push these little kids on their "swings".
 I post this next picture cause I'm not sure when the last time I've ever seen a military band. It made me feel like I was in marching band all over again.
 I finished the day off by enjoying the plaza once the lights were lit. I had the great pleasure of also being there during a full moon. None of these pictures do it justice. It was gorgeous.

No comments: