Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Extraño Manejar

I guess I never realized how much I miss driving. This last weekend I had an opportunity to drive around Guadalajara in a car. It. Was. Heaven. A friend of mine went to Mexico City and left her car in my care. I'll be honest, I was a little concerned. I'd never driven around Guadalajara before and it's quite a bit different from driving around in the United States. And I really didn't want to get into an accident with someone else's car. Nevertheless, I guess I was either brave or stupid and I took the opportunity. 

Best things about having a car:
1) sleeping in later cause you don't have to catch the bus
2) never having to run down the street cause you're late and you might miss the bus
3) you're on your own schedule
4) you have more time in the afternoon cause you're not on a bus that leaves 30 minutes later than everyone else nor are you on that bus for an hour to get home
5) LISTENING TO THE RADIO - ok, I get this via my iPhone on the bus, but let's just say singing along with that radio probably would be less accepted on the bus... Which makes me want to re-title this, singing along to the radio.
6) Seat Dancing - I don't think I have to say more on this. If you've done it, you know what a mood booster it is.
7) if you're sick, you don't have to walk to the store to get medicine.
8) and lastly. DRIVING. It's awesome even when I'm yelling cowardly (all windows are closed) at stupid drivers and horrid traffic. 

Needless to say, I miss driving. On a final note, I must mention that driving in Mexico is interestingly easier than in the United States. This is because people are less likely to follow the rules. You'd think that would be a problem, but it made my life a lot easier. When I made a mistake, couldn't figure out what lane I was in, etc.  people were forgiving... Mostly. In the United States people would freak out and think, what is this crazy doing?? In Mexico, they just go with it. They're probably thinking the same thing, but instead of slowing down and giving you a wide berth, they just calmly pass you. It's kind of great especially considering how confusing the roads can be here. Overall I give an excellent rating to my first experience driving in Guadalajara.

No comments: