So recently I decided that my first idea of living in Mexico without a car was completely idiotic. I also decided that a good portion of my melancholy mood can be blamed on the fact that I have very little independence. I feel extremely limited in things I want to do... and I HATE relying on people. Don't get me wrong, people have been very helpful here... nevertheless when you rely on people they're bound to let you down... frequently. I can't blame them, they're not responsible for helping me. I need to find my own independence. But even more than that, I want to take classes, I want to do extra things around town, and really experience Mexico... and I can't do that as I am right now. So, my solution is to get a car, and here is what I learned.
First, you can't do it alone. Let's say I'm in the United States. I don't currently have a car and want a car. That's hard to do alone... but not impossible. You just have to get the seller to meet you somewhere you can meet them. What if you're interested but want the car checked out? Who's a good mechanic? Chances are there are reviews online of good mechanics (at least good enough to check out a car). Or you go to a name brand place (so you know they're not that bad). Once that's done, it's pretty much just buy the car and drive off with it.
Let's say I'm in Mexico... oh wait, I am. So, I'm in Mexico. I'm interested in a car. I could still potentially go see it (take the bus, taxi or whatever to the desired meet up place). But what do I do about the mechanic? I can't look them up on the internet. Plus, people don't usually take cars to a mechanic here... apparently people bring a mechanic with them to look at the car... At least, that's what I hear. So, who's a good mechanic? I'm still stuck on that question and for now the car search has stagnated. Regardless, I don't even have a clue what to do after I buy the car. How do I register the car? Where do I get a Mexico driver's license? Questions for later I guess. One step at a time.
1 comment:
We sold our last car to a girl from Korea who actually needed us to go show her the car because she had no way to get to us to come see it. Luckily, she also had a mechanic acquaintance that helped people from their country too--it was a good experience. I guess if a person's really motivated to sell you could see if they'd be willing to come show it to you, but you still have the problem of finding a mechanic friend, and where to look for a car. Newspapers, perhaps?
Post a Comment