
The tradition of birthday hugs is probably one of my favorite to date in Mexico. I'm generally not a huggy person, but I think I can safely blame that on American tradition. To be honest, I love hugs, I just don't give them for fear of making people uncomfortable (cause it makes a good number of Americans uncomfortable... which is why we've invented the side hug... the most awkward of all hugs... yay us). Anyway, I'm glad to report that a good majority of Mexicans know how to give good hugs.
So, basically the tradition is this. If it's your birthday, you get a hug. End of Story. Doesn't matter if a they're an acquaintance, friend, stranger... if they find out it's your birthday, a hug is coming your way. Ok, that might be exaggerating... I'm sure if a stranger on the street found out, they probably wouldn't hug you... But you know what's even better? If it's the next day and they didn't see you on your birthday, they'll actually tell you, "Hey, I owe you a birthday hug!" I'm sure most Americans at this point would be shocked and appalled... but in the end I quite enjoyed the tradition. Way to go, Mexico.
No comments:
Post a Comment