Saturday, July 13, 2013

Tazas de Medir

I was looking for measuring cups the other day.  No not the cups that pour, but just regular ones for flour, sugar... yes. I'm a baker.  Anyway, I walked through Wal-Mart and could only find the liquid measuring cups.  I went to another store that's supposedly a bit higher quality, "The Home Store".  I asked the lady if they had measuring cups and she pointed me to the liquid measuring cups and I asked what she does for flour or sugar... you know... what if you want only half a cup of flour instead of a cup... how do you measure it precisely in a liquid measuring cup.  She didn't have an answer and had said she'd never thought about it.  That's probably a good sign that she's a true type of baker... the one that doesn't measure and gives you instructions to her "secret" recipe with measuring words such as "pinch" or "dash". 

 Clearly I'm not that type of baker.  I need exact recipes... at least at the start... then I can get creative later once I master the original recipe.  Anyway, I gave up the search... which is probably better for my mid-section anyway.  That was several months ago and I still do not have good measuring cups.  Such a weird thing to not be able to find.  They exist here I'm sure... it's just not as mainstream in the United States.  Go figure.

No comments: