Saturday, July 13, 2013

Malas Noticias

Well, I've been trying to get a credit card since I got here.  I couldn't get one until I was technically legal with permit and what not.  Then I couldn't get one afterwards cause I didn't have a bank account.  Then I couldn't get one cause they said I didn't have any history on my bank account and that if I came back in two months, they'd consider me again.  Keep in mind, I'm trying to get a credit card from a bank that advertises that you can come in and walk out with your credit card.  My rejection took two weeks.  Anyway, we'll see if I can ever get one.

The importance of a credit card explained:
1) You can buy stuff online (which generally means at a discount).
2) You can get a cell phone.

I've been trying to get a cell phone since I got here... I currently just have this crap pay as you go phone.  I almost got one a couple months ago when Movistar was having a promotion and said I didn't need a credit card to get a plan with a crappy (but still a smart phone) Nokia phone.  So, I went with it.  They had to go to their business center to get all the approvals, so they called me several days later and said I was good to go.  It was in the middle of the week and hard for me to stop by the cell phone store, so I said I'd be there to pick up the phone on Saturday.  They called Friday night to tell me that the business center changed their mind and wanted me to have a credit card.  So.... still no cell phone... well a useable one anyway.  Sigh.

No comments: