Sunday, February 11, 2018

Regresando a mi Pais

Five years and one month. At that point most people assumed I would stay in Mexico... heck I even thought so... but life reminds me that the only thing constant is change. So buckle up cause this woman is on the move.

You may ask, but where to?

To Connecticut... such an odd place to move to. One of the Original 13 Colonies. Steeped in history... I mean look at that flag people... it practically screams history... I'm assuming... I mean it's kind of weird... who knows...
Image result for connecticut state flag

Anyway, I made the decision to move back to the US for several reasons, but suffice it to say I will always see Mexico as a second home. I can only hope my life path leads me back there someday.

So, some of you may be wondering... what the heck is she gonna write about Connecticut? That ain't nearly as exotic as Mexico. Well, you'd be right, but being as this is the first time in the East Coast and that I'm also dealing with some major reverse culture shock upon my return, I thought you'd all enjoy reading a different perspective.

So I'm betting you're all thinking... she's gonna talk about the snow. Nope... not yet anyway. hahaha! First on my list of things that are seriously screwing with me is the driving. I have to drive everywhere... and everything takes 10-15 minutes to get there. Nope... there's no traffic. That's just how things are... spread out. I had the Pharmacy with basic shopping supplies only a 5 min walk from my house in Mexico... that's apparently impossible here. If I used my car in Mexico it probably was a drive of over 10 minutes... but that was easily blamed on traffic. Here... it's just dumbass stoplights, residential zoning and fewer small businesses. In Mexico I drove 40 minutes to work; I now drive 20 minutes to work and it's incredibly boring. I felt like the drive would never end. I guess when you are pretty much alone on a highway that has wide lanes and allows you to put on cruise control, that's what happens. I will say that the roads here in terms of potholes might be marginally worse than in Mexico. Currently I'm blaming that on the freezing and thawing of the roads... but come summer if they don't fix it, I'll proudly declare that the roads are better in Mexico. hahahaImage result for driving boring images

The next thing I noticed were the trees. There are a lot of creepy forests in Connecticut. Every time I get out of town I look around and it seriously looks like a terror movie. Then there are these random walls of rocks...Image result for forest walls in connecticut See? Tell me that does not look creepy. Or at the very least like a movie called 1776 in which red coats with bayonets might be hiding behind there? Then when I get to IBM, it's this beautiful brick building. Who builds with brick anymore? Also surrounded by trees... I will not be working late... if I thought leaving El Salto late creeped me out, that is nothing compared to Southbury. Connecticut's only saving grace is that in all the other seasons it will look gorgeous instead of creepy, I hope.

And for now I will leave it at that. I'm still in sticker shock and missing many basic Mexican food items... but that will be for another blog. Stay tuned!

No comments: