Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Me Vuelvo Loca

A straight-jacket would not be out of line to offer at this point.  I've been pretty bored at work for the last couple months... so I was fully expecting to not be stressed from work while I'm making this move.  I should learn to lower my expectations.  Work has become a nightmare.  Yes, I've had worse days... but the combination of personal crises and work blowing up has jumbled my brain to beyond recognition.  I feel like I'm getting a lot done and then I look at my list and just want to close shop.

Thankfully, I've got some amazing people helping me out.  Thanks to a non-hoarder friend, I was able to pack pretty much everything that I'm going to keep.  I highly recommend having someone (not emotionally attached to your stuff) with you when trying to decide whether to keep or chuck.  It was very productive.

So now that's done, I can focus on selling the last few things and finding a place to live!  However, selling things is by far and away the worst activity imaginable.  I've had multiple scams contact me and even more people just ask a few questions and then move on without a word.  People set up a time to come see whatever it is and just don't show up, or they say they'll buy it, but then backup and ask if I'll sell it for cheaper. Um... shouldn't that question have been closer to the front of the conversation?  Or... and this is the worst one of all... they'll ask me to guarantee my car.  Um. No.  Not that I don't have confidence that my car works great, but we are talking about a car here... anything can happen.  I have no idea if a car will all the sudden have problems.  That's the risk of owning a car.  You want perfect?  Buy new from a dealer who will warranty it up the wazoo.  Anyway, it's frustrating at best.

Meanwhile, Christmas is upon me.  I've been shopping like mad trying to get all my presents in order before I leave.  Technically, I only have 6.5 days left in Rochester.  It's stressful thinking about all the things I want to get people before I leave... like the caramel popcorn to those who look for it every year... or the chocolate caramel treats I make every year... or those gingerbread houses I've been promising to make with a friend for the last two years...  Hmmm... ok, so most of my presents involve food.  An interesting discovery as I write this blog... though to be honest it doesn't really surprise me.  Ha ha ha.  I've been working on getting my close friends presents too... and that's harder than you think.  I have these awesome dreams of what their presents are going to be and then I'm agonizing over it when I go to buy it (Am I sure this is the perfect gift for this person? What about that other thing I was thinking of... could that be better?  What if I like it better than he/she does?... the list goes on and on).  Anyway, I know it's ridiculous, but this is my FAVORITE part of Christmas.  Even though it's just another stress... it's the search of that perfect gift and the payment of seeing their faces when you show up with that gift.  It's so wonderful.

Well, I think I'll end the blog with a FAQ.  "Are you excited?"  Yes and no.  I've got so much to do that I'm not really thinking about the "being there" at this point... just taking one step at a time to get through it.  I was excited at one point, but now I'm mostly nervous.  I've moved enough to know how I deal with moves.  And every time I move, I get really lonely and doubtful about my decision.  For 3 months I adjust to the new life and wonder if I'll ever make any friends and if I'll ever get used to this or that.  It's a depressing time and I'm not looking forward to it.  However, many a Rochester friend has pointed out that when I get depressed I can just think about how cold it is in Rochester. ha ha ha!  I think I'll have to do that.  I know I will love it and that eventually, it will be as beloved as Rochester so that when it comes time to leave, it will break my heart to leave so many amazing people.

No comments: