The problem with taking the road less traveled is that it's rocky, unkempt and generally inhospitable to use. It may lead you to several dead ends, downed trees or rock slides and probably a lot of U-turns. Today I realized that I do not deal well with ambiguity. I like a plan. There's comfort in a plan. I've had to learn a lot these past few months to just deal with the bumps and accept the fact that there's no solution or plan for the moment. I haven't always dealt with it well. I'm pretty sure I ran into a dead end once and sat down and threw a tantrum. The funny thing is, I haven't even gotten to the hard part yet.
I won't go into all the nitty gritty of my frustrations, but I will mention a little about the timing so you get an idea of how long I've been waiting for this. They proposed the idea of Mexico sometime back in January... maybe December of last year. I went to Guadalajara in February to scope it out. I probably decided to go in April sometime and I finalized and accepted the offer in June-ish. Meanwhile, I'd been told they wanted me there before 4Q. Visa paperwork was started and delayed and started and delayed... delayed... and started again. Definitely well past the expectation of "before 4Q". Needless to say, the visa should be coming through here in the next few weeks (fingers crossed)! If all goes well, I will move to Mexico in January.
Keep in mind, I moved into a month-to-month apartment in November 2011 so that I could be flexible. I remember my roommate had some friends over and one of their children waddled down into my basement area... the lady came to fetch her and, when she saw my living room with a bunch of boxes, said, "Oh, did you just move in?" This was in the summer of 2012. Nope, been here about 7 months. This is what my life has been like. Limbo. Please refer to the first paragraph to find out how I feel about this state of living.
Regardless of the frustrations, I'm enraptured by the idea of living in Mexico. This could be because I had such good memories of Honduras, but I'm excited nonetheless. I'm ecstatic to speak Spanish 24/7 again. I love the feeling of being completely immersed in the Spanish language... you speak in Spanish, you think in Spanish, you dream in Spanish... you feel in Spanish. It'll be really great to broaden my vocabulary to the business side of things. In Honduras I was a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints... so my vocabulary was conversational and religious. It was great, but sometimes I see how big those gaping holes in my Spanish really are. It will be wonderful to see new places and meet new people and a new culture. I'm also happy to be moving on to something new at work. I'd been doing the same job for over 2 years so it will be entertaining and challenging to try my hand at something a bit different at work.
A lot of things are changing and this makes me nervous, but change is generally a good thing even if it's hard. Just gotta keep reminding myself of that as I look at the calendar and begin to hyperventilate. :-)
No comments:
Post a Comment